Irrational Number Line Games, LLC
This is a pretty simple little project. First, you need some little nick-nack statues. I got a set of these buddah statues to use as a base. Then, it just comes down to painting the up with some standard techniques.
I didn't even bother to lay down a coat of primer, which is a change from usual practice. The glossy coat on these seemed to be fairly receptive to paint, so I just went for it. They do, however get a base color and several layers of highlight and wash. Here you can see two pairs with gold metallic and a custom-mixed green base color. The two nekkid ones are about to get a slate grey. For the buddah with the upraised dish, I am going to leave that little bit the natural color and see how it works out.
Here they are a little later. The stone and jade ones have two progressive layers of drybrush highlighting. I boxed the paint, that is, I started with a large amount of the base colors, then added a little off white to make a lighter version of the base color. The first color was a heavy dry brush, then the lightest color was a light drybrush. The gold ones only got one light drybrush of the base gold, mixed with a little silver.
All of them got the same black wash. I like to keep myself limited to a few basic wash colors. I feel that it unites the pieces on the table. These figures basically got the same wash as the ruin terrain I made a couple of years ago, that they will be placed in.
Here they are after a matte spray sealant, in with the terrain and some figures. As I was typing this, I realized that using custom figures may not help a lot as a reference. Then again, these are just Westwind bushi retainers. They already come with interchangable heads - I just interchanged a bit more than expected.
Here's one of the gold ones. Not much to say about the mini project. However, often times I will use identical minis for statues. That way you can mark the bases with scenario based info, and then "shuffle" them (or one player "hides" the marked one) to get some hidden info in a game.For these, since they are not identical, I marked the bottoms with the Chinese symbols for the numbers one through six. Then I took my favourite identical markers, cheap plastic poker chips, and marked the "under" side with the same six numbers.
Our first game with these was a head to head, two player "protect the temple treasure". The defending player chose one of the chips to indicate which statue had the treasure. As the attacker progress and gained "control" (only his figures adjacent to a statue), the defeneding player revealed wether that was the chosen statue or not.
I ended up starting with a little bit too much green paint, so I decided to go ahead and make some jade elephants while I was at it.
ArchiveTo the Archive of Ideas...